Watch Around Water Policy
WynActive has in place a ‘Watch Around Water’ policy which applies at AquaPulse and Werribee Outdoor Pool. The policy relates to parental/guardian supervision of children.
From 2nd December 2019, there will be new guidelines concerning ratios for the number of children who can be supervised by a parent or guardian.
The new guidelines will be:
- 1 parent/guardian to 2 children under 5 (1:2)
- 1 parent/guardian to 4 children under 10 (1:4)
Any additional children will require an additional parent/guardian.
Examples of these ratios in place are:
- A group that includes a 2, 4, 7 and 8-year-old requires 1 x guardian/parent.
- A group that includes a 1, 3, 4 and 9-year-old requires 2 x guardians/parents.
Please always feel free to speak to a team member about how the new guidelines apply to your visit.
The basics of the existing policy are as follows:
- Children under five (5) years will not be permitted entry without an appropriate parent/guardian who is prepared to enter the water.
- Children under ten (10) years will not be permitted entry without an appropriate parent/guardian.
- Groups/families will not be permitted entry where the number of Parent/Guardian’s supervising a group of children under ten (10) years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
- A parent/guardian is regarded as a responsible individual who is sixteen (16) years and over
- All booking procedures should include the advice and supplementary information of Children Supervision policies
- All large, informal groups of children arriving at an aquatic facility may be required to participate in a brief to the entry policies and may be refused entry.
Aquatic Supervision Policy
- Children under ten (10) years must be constantly accompanied by an adult while in the aquatic area of the Facility.
- Children under five (5) years must be constantly supervised by an appropriate parent/guardian who is prepared to swim. Adequate supervision requires the parent/guardian to accompany the child in the water and remain within arm’s reach of the child at all times.
- Unsupervised children under five (5) years should be removed from the water and placed in a safe area until collected by the parent/guardian.
- For children ten (10) years and older parents must use their knowledge of the child's swimming ability to determine the level of accompaniment required.
- If a staff member is concerned for the safety of an unsupervised child, they have the ability to remove the child from the water
- An unsupervised child of poor swimming ability regardless of age should be removed from the water by a staff member
Please be aware of these additional important aspects of the "Watch Around Water" policy which applies at WynActive's aquatic sites:
- Children ages under 5 (0 to 4) will be issued a pink wrist band which must be worn at all times. If children are not within arm’s reach of their parent or guardian at all times, they will be removed from the water.
- Children ages under 10 (5 to 9) will be issued a yellow wrist band which must be worn at all times. If children are unsupervised they will be removed from the water.